Tuesday, June 20, 2006

DRUG 'CAP' LIMITS TREATMENT OF ADDICTS

There appears to be no other area of medicine where limits are imposed by fiat on the number of patents a physician can treat. And the rationale for limiting the number of patients who may be accepted for life-and-death treatment with buprenorphine of opiate addiction: fear of creating "buprenorphine mills." How come no one worries about "well-baby care mills," or "diagnostic radiology mills," or "epilepsy mills", or "mills" serving patients with AIDS, schizophrenia, tuberculosis, etc.? It seems clear that government is displaying overt prejudice against the medical problem of addiction and those who provide and receive treatment for it. No wonder, then, that stigma against exists throughout society, and presents an enormous obstacle to those who so desperately want to leave behind a life of illicit drug use and all with which it is associated.

4 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes agree entirely with you regarding prejudices by public and govt in opiate addiction treatment.it is absurd to put a cap on the number of addicts a doctor is allowed to treat,what will happen to all those who are willing to undergo treatment but are unable to register?this will only promote a thriving underground market for subutex.-anonymous MBBS

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Greg V said...

I also agree. Our laws regarding opiate treatment are so hypocritical and draconian. As a 15 year opiate abuser living in a community of 25,000, one physician is approved to treat 30 addicts at one time. it leaves the addict with little choice but obtain opiates illegally. After 10 years of trying NA, rehab, self detox, and the pain of numerous relapses I recently started traveling 100 miles per day for methadone maintenance treatment. It has kept me off the streets buying the endless supply of opiate painkillers provided mainly by the "drug dealing" doctors in the community. Our city opposed a methadone clinic in 2005 "to protect children and law abiding citizens from low-life junkies". The clinic I attend is very professional, secure, and the "junkies" come from all walks of life. This disease knows no social boundaries and I applaud all who can stay clean through NA or other means. However, methadone has been a godsend for me. For the first time in years I am not calling dealers who are supplied by physicians who prescribe copious amounts of narcotics to patients who obviously don't need them, but would not consider treating an addict with methadone or suboxone.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Mike said...

Hi. nice blog.I do have plenty of family members with addictions, mainly alcohol. I try to deal with their attitude changes and give them advice when I see them sober if I do. It's hard especially when is someone close you love.please advice them to take a drug treament program.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Brian Green said...

For over 10 years I was an addict and needed dual diagnosis rehab when I got the help I needed, I could start living my life again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home