Tuesday, January 15, 2008

PREVALENCE OF BUPRENORPHINE “ABUSE” – IT’S ALL IN THE DEFINITION:

A recent article entitled, “Abuse of Buprenorphine in the US: 2003-2005” did not consider any indicators of the extent of abuse, but merely tabulated those instances in which the “abuse” caused adverse reactions severe enough to lead someone to contact a poison control center. This would seem to be a particularly misleading approach in dealing with buprenorphine, whose key appeal to regulators and clinicians alike is the high degree of safety attributed to its “ceiling effect.” Smith et al. J Addict Dis 2007; 26(3):107-111.

3 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to know more about the article -- can you email it? -- and your views on its findings.
Thanks,

john.fairhall@baltsun.com

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

need information have an addicted son

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While living in NYC over the last three years I have had a short but wild affair with opiates. I have been detoxed and have tried methadone maintenance, both experiences I would not want to go through again. I have sinced moved away from Manhattan, been introduced to bupe and have cleaned up my act. I guess my question is, why wasn't bupe the first option that was offered to me? It seems to me bupe is safe and I am living proof that it works

 

Post a Comment

<< Home