Thursday, October 08, 2009

LOCAL RESIDENTS TURN OUT TO BLOCK MMT FACILITY

Local residents turned out to vigorously support a zoning rule designed to preclude facilities that would provide methadone maintenance treatment. The current ordinance requires that "the distance from another developer has to be 1000 feet, and the distance from a playground, school, licensed bar, nursing home, is a half mile." An attorney for the corporation that wishes to open a clinic in the Keystone Industrial Park noted, "There is not a single location in Dunmore that would meet those requirements.”

It would seem a tossup which perceived threat is more ridiculous – that to playgrounds, or to schools, or to bars or to nursing homes.

For the full story (dated Oct 6) click here.

3 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Anonymous sober buddies said...

It's a shame that sober support services get such a bad wrap in the media. We should do more to promote it, thanks for the info.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger rinaldo10 said...

I'm sorry I will be off topic but I couldn't find a direct rout to your e-mail. My name is steven, I have never been a street drug user, never a cocaine user nor even pot but after an injury my GP put me on Percocet and my life has gone right out of control. I have just moved to Halifax where the situation is dire for most and I just can't see how there isn't another choice for these people or more so the people like myself that get carries, I don't ever fail a drug screening process... I'll stop there, can't seem to make a clear point here.. I will end by saying that I am close to ending my life because I can't seem to be able to stop using methadone. I have come down from 115ml to 54 since Aug 10th, feeling worse and very lethargic I just feel there is no hope for me. If there was another potential drug that might efffect me differently or a drug I would be able to get back to work with. The sadness is almost to difficult to deal with any further I really don't have anyone left to turn too.....

I have recently been diagnosed with
PARAMYOTONIA CONGENITA, which I understand now is the reason I have been a non-responder with many drugs, perhaps another reason I feel no effect when I take 200 mls in one day. I have no choice but to have my teeth removed in a hospital becuase I am a non-responder ... Imagine for a moment that each and ever doctor I have been in touch with since my accident in 2004 have just treated me as a drug addict because of my mistake for not knowing enough about these kinds of pain pills...... Do you have any suggestions perhaps....

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger RGNewman, MD said...

Dear Stefano,
We would very much like to help you with your situation and have found a colleague in Halifax that is willing to discuss options with you. We do not however have any of your contact information so I ask that you reach us by email at moconnor@icaat.org and we will facilitate a meeeting/discussion between yourself and our Halifax colleague, Thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home