Thursday, December 03, 2009

DEBATE CONTINUES OVER HEROIN TREATMENT IN ABERDEEN:

According to a report in The Press and Journal Dec 2, the debate continues over a proposal "to offer heroin on the NHS to city [Aberdeen] drug addicts." One city Councilor explained his support as follows: "There is evidence to suggest that weaning people off heroin is much easier than weaning people off methadone," while the Liberal Democrat "group deputy leader" is quoted as saying, "I know methadone is society's way of shifting the responsibility but I would like to take some of the responsibility back and look at options." One can only wonder who is advising the elected officials. For the full story, click here.

1 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tricare paid for all of the Vicodin I was prescribed for 9 years (max dosage) but when I decided I didn't want to take them any more, they wouldn't pay $80 for the Suboxone so I could quit them. This was after my doctor dismissed the idea and I had to go find a psychiatrist on my own to help me (thank God I found a great place). I was completely physically dependent on them, I couldn't just wean myself off. I paid the $80 myself and it was worth it, but I thought it was strange that they seemed to prefer to pay for me to continue being on opiates vs. quitting them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home