Sunday, August 29, 2010

Opioid Dependence Remains an Incurable Condition

This reality seems to have been overlooked by authors of a paper that appeared recently (J Psychoact Drugs, 42(2):161-175, 2010). They state: "For reasons not adequately understood, some patients find discontinuation of buprenorphine following long-term use difficult." Indeed, this understates the case! Notwithstanding such claims as "buprenorphine is less addicting," once treatment of addiction ends relapse is the rule rather than the exception, and this applies to buprenorphine no less than to treatment with methadone or various drug-free approaches.

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Storm Before the Calm said...

Addiction is incurable, but it is possible to recover. I am not anti-alternatives for opioid addiction, but I have using suboxone and going cold turkey. In my experience cold turkey was the way to go. Of course I do suggest doing it with medical care. I was at a fantastic rehab center for my detox. It was rough, but I am still clean.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous R Johnson said...

Recovery from opiate addiction is certainly possible but it must be considered a lifelong process. Professional help from a qualified treatment center which offers highly supervised buprenorphine treatment plans is an effective means of breaking the cycle of addiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home